SAMPLE SPEAKING TOPICS
TOPIC: Power Dispersal and the Age of Shared Leadership
- In this talk, award-winning author, speaker, and CEO Kevin Hancock describes how losing the full use of his speaking voice to a rare neurological disorder led him to a remote Indian reservation on the northern plains, where he discovered an entire community that did not feel heard. The two events convinced Kevin that each human is here on earth in a personal quest to find and share their own unique and never to be repeated voice. Unfortunately, across time leaders have done more to restrict the voices of others than to liberate them. Kevin takes these understandings and develops and deploys a new leadership model designed to push power out – away from the corporate center – and give everyone in the organization a leading voice. The result is a high performing corporate model in which business metrics soar as an outcome of a higher calling.
TOPIC: Creating an Employee Centric Company
- In this talk, award-winning author, speaker, and CEO Kevin Hancock explains the social and economic benefits of creating an ‘employee centric company’. Work’s first mission should be to enhance the lives of the people who do it. Kevin explains how starting the flywheel of corporate success at the employee experience creates enhanced results for customers, communities, and corporations. Several long-standing assumptions about business, such as ‘the customer comes first’, ‘people make the difference’, and ‘staying in your lane’ are all revisited and reclassified as bad advice in the 21st Century.
TOPIC: Driving Employee Engagement
- In this talk, award-winning author, speaker, and CEO Kevin Hancock describes a straight-forward and tested model for driving employee engagement to record levels. According to Gallup, 34% of American workers feel inspired by their work. Globally, that number falls to 18%. At Hancock Lumber in Maine, where Kevin is the CEO, 88% of the company’s 550 employees describe themselves as engaged and energized by their company and their work. Kevin describes the processes, values, and systems the company deployed to become a six-time ‘Best Place To Work In Maine’ award recipient. Kevin concludes by positioning low engagement at work as not just an economic challenge but a social one.
TOPIC: Culture Creation Makes The Difference
- In this talk, award-winning author, speaker, and CEO Kevin Hancock explains that great people are actually everywhere, and that it is the culture of the organization that makes the difference. The culture of an organization either disperses or collects power. This is a choice that the leaders make either overtly or indirectly. Kevin shares his insights from his time on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation where he comes to understand that ‘In nature, power is dispersed’. Humans, who are a part of nature – not above it – ultimately aspire to organize in accordance with this sacred natural law. Kevin concludes by laying out a pathway for corporate change and describes how it can create social change by helping every employee feel trusted, respected, valued, and heard.
TOPIC: Healing From Within
- In this talk, award-winning author, speaker, and CEO Kevin Hancock reflects on his recovery from a thought to be ‘incurable’ neurological voice disorder, as well as his time on the remote Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota. Kevin concludes that Earth is the planet of wounds and that the ability to ‘heal’ is an essential human skill. Kevin looks at his own personal journey towards a cure and compares in with the journey of the Oglala Sioux Tribe at Pine Ridge, as they work to heal the ongoing wounds from their oppression and colonization in the 19th and 20th centuries.
TOPIC: Secrets to Corporate Longevity
- In this talk, award-winning author, speaker, and CEO Kevin Hancock looks at the history of his company, Hancock Lumber (established 1848) and ponders the ingredients that have allowed the company to continuously reinvent itself across three centuries of American history. Kevin reflects on the company philosophy of ‘always changing to remain the same’ and the importance of using core values as a guidepost for long-term success.
TOPIC: From Overreaching to Restraint
- In this talk, award-winning author, speaker, and CEO Kevin Hancock examines the tendency of leaders across history and diverse cultures to overreach, and go too far. Kevin describes his first-hand experiences on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in South Dakota, as well as his time with Holodomor survivors in the Ukraine as examples of how leaders often abuse their power and take too much from the communities they have responsibility for. Overreaching has consequences and ultimately collapse back upon those who do it. Kevin then describes a new leadership path built on restraint, which he describes as having the power to control others, but not exercising it. In the past, leaders often took and held power by overreaching. In the 21st century, Kevin suggests, truly effective and lasting influence will increasingly only be gained through restraint.
Kevin Hancock, Legal Services Corporation Event, 8/16/19.
Kevin Hanock, Do More Good Conference, Lincoln, NE, 5/18/19
Kevin Hancock, Entrepreneur Podcast Network interview with host Eric Dye,
10/27/18 Kevin Hancock, Turning Your Business into Something Extraordinary (Part 1), BKBG (Bath + Kitchen Buyers Group) Annual Conference,
9/25/18 Kevin Hancock, Turning Your Business into Something Extraordinary (Part 2), BKBG (Bath + Kitchen Buyers Group) Annual Conference,
9/25/18 Kevin Hancock, Keynote Speaker at the 2018 LBM Strategies Conference, Philadelphia, PA
9/19/18 Kevin Hancock, Straining My Vocal Cords and Strengthening the Voices of Others, Awakin Calls
9/1/18 Kevin Hancock, Keynote Speaker at the Chaplaincy Institute of Maine Event, USM Portland
Kevin Hancock, Featured Speaker at the 2017 Builder Summit, Falmouth Maine
Kevin Hancock, SAGE Speaker Series, USM Portland
Kevin Hancock, LBM Strategies Keynote Speaker, Rethinking leadership in the modern age
Kevin Hancock, Facebook Live interview with Kathleen Pierce from the Maine Innkeepers Association
Kevin Hancock, Guest Speaker for The Portland Rotary Speaker Series, October 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on Cinnamon Moon at Night, December 5, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on Bright Side with Tekneshia, November 29, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on The Common Sense Psychic with Phyllis King, November 18, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on Lucid Planet Radio with Dr. Kelly Neff, November 9, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Panel Member at Kansas State University's Native American Callings Panel Discussion, November 1, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on Maine Real Estate Network Radio with Cathy Manchester, October 30, 2016
Kevin Hancock and Deborah Dooley, Guests on Talk with Francesca, October 21, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on The Moore Show with Kevin Moore, October 11, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on Beyond 50 Radio with Daniel Davis, September 24, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest at Chats with Champions, September 15, 2016, Skidompha Library, Damariscotta, Maine
Kevin Hancock, Guest on The Self Improvement Show with Irene Conlan, September 15, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on The Inspiration Show with Natalie Ledwell, September 5, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on Law of Attraction talk radio, August 14, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on WCSH6 207 News Program, August 9, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on The Lisa Smith Show, Big Blend Radio, August 5, 2016
Kevin Hancock, Guest on The Kathryn Zox Show: Shared Leadership, VoiceAmerica World Talk Radio
Kevin Hancock, Guest on Conscious Thoughts With Leo with Magdalena Winkler, BBS Talk Radio Station
2nd Annual Maine Live Event, Kevin Hancock's Story (15 min. video)
Spiritual Essence: An Interview with Kevin Hancock with Dr. Lisa Belisle, Love Maine Radio
Kevin Hancock Presents at UNE Merrill Business Ethics Lecture
Kevin Hancock Presents at the Lewiston Chamber Breakfast Program: Using Lean Processes to Improve Your Organization How Wolves Change Rivers Jose Miguel interview on 60 Minutes
10th Annual National Indie Excellence® Awards Announced - Not For Sale: Finding Center in the Land of Crazy Horse winner in Leadership category and Finalist in Spirituality category!
Centered CEOs: President of Maine lumber company tells UNH forum about his leadership philosophy by Kimberley Haas, November 12, 2017, Union Leader
A Lumber Executive Loses His Voice and Finds Balance by Jennifer Van Allen, The New York Times
Life Lessons Lead to LBM Changes at Hancock Lumber by Kate Tyndall, Prosales
Hancock Lumber's Kevin Hancock on growing after the recession by Jennifer Van Allen, MaineBiz
Finding My Own True Voice: Kevin Hancock by The National Spasmodic Dysphonia Association
Living in the White Space by Valerie Rickel
Suicide on the Great Sioux Nation by Jason Coppola
Not For Sale featured in the Sept/Oct Issue of Big Blend Magazine